- 1lb Gemelli pasta**
- 1 pkg hot Italian sausage (can also use sweet sausage, chicken sausage, etc)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bunch of asparagus, ends cut off & stalks cut into 2″ pieces
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese + more for serving
- 4 tbsp olive oil
**My preferred pasta is Severino, which can be found at Whole Foods. Any other curly/twisted pasta will work well for this recipe.
- Cut the sausage into 1″ pieces. You can also take the sausage out of the casing if you want to break it up into crumbles.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to a pan over medium-high heat.
- Sautee the sausage, stirring frequently. Cook through, approximately 10 minutes.
- While the sausage is cooking, start to boil the water for pasta. Add a generous amount of salt to the water.
- Once the sausage is cooked, scoop it out and move to a clean bowl. Keep the sausage drippings in the pan.
- Lower the heat to medium.
- To the pan that had the sausage in it, add the onion. Sautee until the onion starts to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil, tomato, asparagus, garlic & salt
- Cook 8-10 minutes, until softened
- Meanwhile, add the pasta to the water. Give it a stir to prevent sticking. Cook according to package instructions.
- Add the butter to the tomato/asparagus mixture & stir to combine
- Add the sausage back into the pan
- The pasta should be ready at this point. Using a slotted spoon, scoop & transfer the pasta from the water into the pan with the sausage. Don’t drain the pasta.
- Add the parmesan cheese & stir vigorously to thicken*
- Serve while hot!
*If the pasta seems a little thick, add a few tsp at a time of pasta water to loosen it. If it seems too watery, add a little more parm and stir to thicken.