- 1 pkg hot Italian sausage*
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (I used frozen)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp cayenne*
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
*Note: this recipe is pretty spicy! If you’re not into it, swap hot sausage for sweet. You can also leave out the cayenne.
- Large non-stick skillet
- Cook the brown rice and set aside. I like to cook this in large batches ahead of time. I usually make 4 cups water or chicken stock to 2 cups rice.
- Preheat the skillet over medium heat
- Make a slice down the middle of the sausages & squeeze the meat out of the casing into the skillet
- With a spatula, break up the sausage into small pieces as it cooks. Cook 10-12 minutes until it is fully cooked through.
- Add the rice to the skillet with the olive oil & stir to combine
- Lower the heat to medium – low
- Add the broccoli & stir to combine
- Add the garlic, salt & cayenne & stir
- Stir for 3-5 minutes until the broccoli defrosts & softens (if you are using frozen broccoli). Continue to stir until cooked so it doesn’t burn.
- Serve hot!