Sometimes I feel like I make the same things over and over..probably because recently I’ve been obsessed with kale and butternut squash. I mean, who isn’t? While they make awesome sides to your main, I wanted to switch it up and make something that combined all lots of my favorite fall things right in one bowl.
This recipe is great as an individual portion or as a side to your dinner. I really liked building my own individual portion because I could add more of things I love, instead of trying to make all of my additions even. If you are making an individual portion, get creative and add some chicken on top or even a cooked egg! Whatever you choose, this will prove to be satisfying and filling, and easy to eat while you snuggle up on the couch to watch Gilmore Girls. Don’t pretend that’s not you.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water, or chicken/vegetable broth
- 2-3 cups butternut squash; peeled & cubed
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cups kale, ripped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring 2 cups water or broth to a boil, add 1 cup quinoa. Simmer for approx 25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa fluffy
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. While waiting, cut the squash into small cubes.
- When the squash is cut, place on a baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Mix with your hands to coat.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the squash is soft and easily pierced with a fork.
While the quinoa and butternut squash are cooking:
- Add the pine nuts to a small skillet and toast over low heat until golden brown; set aside
- Wash & dry the kale; tear the leaves off the stems and rip into bite sizes pieces
- Sautee with a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. The small amount of olive oil will create a nice crunch on the kale, as if you were baking it
When everything is done, assemble!
- In a bowl, add EVERYTHING! Layer quinoa, kale, butternut squash, pine nuts and goat cheese crumbles.
- Mix everything up and serve warm!