Hi guys! Deanna here! I’m back and so excited to share with you this new and improved blog: a collaboration with my super talented friends. When I started I hoped Tablespoons & Tea Parties would turn into an eclectic collection of fun, healthy, creative & inspiring posts. Now that’s all coming your way!
Shirlee kicked us off last week with her delicious Banana Cupcakes and I hope you tried them out over Labor Day weekend! If you’re anything like me you spent it eating a lot of cupcakes, ice cream, cake and cookies. This recipe is here to help you get back on track this week.
Thai Shrimp Bowls are a favorite to cook because they’re super fast to make and they’re also really versatile. I make this with shrimp but you could use tofu or chicken.
Most of your time will be spent on the prep and the assembly is so quick you won’t have to wait to eat it! With that said, my recommendation is to prep your ingredients in this order:
- Make your grain first
- Peel/devein shrimp
- Prep your bowl ingredients
- Make the marinade
- Cook the shrimp
Prep time: 35 min
Assembly time: 10 min
Yields: 2-3 bowls
I made these bowls with bulgur, which is low in fat and high in fiber. You could also do this with brown rice or even millet.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups bulgur
**This is going to make about 6 cups cooked. I like having extra to use throughout the week but feel free to cut it in half!
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil
- Add the bulgur and gently stir
- Shut heat and cover for 20 minutes
- Fluff with a fork
Peel & devein the shrimp
- 1lb raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- Rinse & then season lightly with salt
- Keep refrigerated until ready to use
**Deveining shrimp is kind of the worst – if you want a demo video shoot us a message and we’ll create a post!
Prep your bowl ingredients
- 1 cup carrots – sliced, diced, or whatever you have the patience for
- 1 cup cucumber – Peeled & sliced into rounds or half moons
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts – toasted in a skillet for 5 minutes over medium heat
- 1 cup edamame beans – I bought frozen and thawed in the microwave!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 1 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
Mix together in a bowl and put aside until ready to serve.
While you’re making the marinade take the shrimp out of the fridge.
Cooking the shrimp
- Over medium heat on a grill pan or skillet add 1 tsp olive oil or vegetable oil to coat the bottom.
- When hot add the shrimp – careful not to over crowd!
- Cook 2-3 min on each side, depending on how big the shrimp are. While cooking, drizzle half of the marinade over.
You’ll know they’re done when the exterior is pink and flesh is slightly opaque. Remove from heat until ready to assemble!
Assemble your bowl!
- Add your bulgur or chosen grain first
- Top with all of your ingredients & cooked shrimp
- Drizzle remaining marinade on top